Welcome to the food emporium, where recipes are brought together and shared by people with a love affair for food. This is for people who love to prepare the holiday dinner just to watch the reaction as your creation is savoured. Just to let you know, I will not be posting pictures of the recipes simultaneously with the recipe but if you do want to see a picture of any recipe you will find it on my instagram, stringbeanela

Sunday, January 27, 2013

30 Day Challenge

To start my promise off right I am posting my supper tonight along with all the suppers I make for the next 30 days.  Tonight's supper was a healthy margherita pizza drizzled with a balsamic reduction.

Margherita Pizza

1 Rye Crispbread
Handful of chopped basil
Grated mozzarella cheese
Tomato Sauce
1 Garlic clove
1/4-1/3 C balsamic vinegar

Recipe:
The rye crispbread I used was round (about as big as a small pizza) and the brand was Leksands.  For those of you who might not want this or don't know where to find it I have also made this on rice cakes and small plain ryvita or wasa as well as gluten free pizza crust or there is also the option of following the recipe but using a traditional pizza crust.  Out of all of the versions of healthy pizzas (sans wheat flour) I've made this type of crust is by far my favourite.  I have found this rye crispbread at Save on Foods and Superstore for those of you who are Canadians this may help.  Onto the recipe, I took my one garlic clove and cut it in half then rubbed both of the halves cut side down on the crust.  Following that I spread approximately a quarter cup of tomato sauce all over the crust, then topped it with the grated mozzarella cheese approximately 3/4 cup.  (I left the amounts of sauce and cheese up to you since everyone likes different amounts so put on however little or much you want these amounts are just how much I like on my pizza)  Sprinkle the chopped basil over the top and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden then remove from the oven and drizzle with the balsamic reduction. 

Balsamic Reduction
How to make the balsamic reduction, put between 1/4-1/3 cup balsamic vinegar in a pot and put it on medium heat then let it bubble away til it has just begun to thicken then take it off the heat.  Make sure to watch the balsamic as it reduces so that it doesn't reduce too much and burn.  The balsamic only takes between 3-5 minutes to reduce so make sure to watch it.  I always make the balsamic reduction while the pizza is cooking.  Also if you are new to reduction I would recommend keeping the heat a bit lower (medium low) and use a larger amount since it allows more leeway but once it starts reducing it will reduce quickly so the best thing to do is to keep an eye on it.  Once you've mastered the balsamic reduction you will find yourself putting it on everything since it is sweeter than balsamic vinegar and I find it a very universal flavour.  If reducing vinegar seems too daunting to you you can either buy it reduced from the store or just omit it completely from the recipe.  Either way you make this pizza it will be amazing since homemade is always better than store bought.  If you have any questions feel free to ask and don't forget to check out my instagram, stringbeanela to see a picture of the pizza.

2 comments: