Welcome to the food emporium, where recipes are brought together and shared by people with a love affair for food. This is for people who love to prepare the holiday dinner just to watch the reaction as your creation is savoured. Just to let you know, I will not be posting pictures of the recipes simultaneously with the recipe but if you do want to see a picture of any recipe you will find it on my instagram, stringbeanela

Friday, February 1, 2013

Biscuits and Vegetable Soup

Tonight I made the never ending meal, in our house that is soup. I always end up with way more than what I first intended. Also, there isn't a recipe I can really give you to recreate this soup because soup is probably the least measured thing I make. I just keep adding to it until it tastes right. What I did though was I boiled a package of uncooked sausage and once it was cooked I took it out and saved the water for the base of my broth. In the soup I put one chopped butternut squash, the flesh of 1/2 a pumpkin, 1 onion, 3 cloves of garlic and about 5 chopped beets. I boiled those all together in the sausage water until they were soft enough to blend and blended them. While the soup was boiling I sautéed carrots, celery and an onion. Once the soup was blended i added in my sautéed vegetables, at this point I also added the cooked sausage back into the pot. For seasonings I just used pepper, fresh dill, marjoram, beef stock and celery seed. I put all these in to taste and my soup was made. I served it with a savoury onion dill biscuit, which I have a recipe for.

Biscuit recipe

2 C Spelt Flour
4 tsp Baking Powder
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp salt
1/3 C Butter
3/4 C Almond Milk
1 chopped onion, caramelized and cooled
Handful of chopped fresh dill

Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Cut in the butter until it's crumbly. Add milk and mix it in either with a fork or your hands. Mix in the onion and dill then form the dough into balls, place on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 425 for 8-10 minutes or until they're risen and browned.

*With spelt flour you still want the dough to be quite moist unlike traditional biscuits where you can cut them, these will only be able to be shaped into balls with your hands. If you get the dough too dry your biscuits will be a bit crumblier than normal. Also if you want to make this with normal milk and wheat flour again you can use the same proportions that I have laid out for the spelt flour and almond milk.

2 comments:

  1. I ask you this, what is normal milk? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you is funny :) I'm sure you know but just in case, it's milk that comes from a cow

    ReplyDelete